There are lots of different ways to make khichdi. The basic ingredients is rice and lentils which is cooked together. The addition of veggies and masala is vary from family to family. Some like their khichdi with masala and some don’t. It considered a very plain dish, cooked with very less oil, less masala and usually served to people who are ill.
Its is also the first solid food introduced to babies coz it is full of proteins and carbohydrates. Well in my case I consider khichdi one of my all time comfort food. And I make sure I make this once in a week. so, I keep modify the recipe once in a while. But this recipe is from my mom’s kitchen. Couple of weeks ago when I was talking to her she asked me to try adding palak/spinach in the khichdi. So, thought of sharing the recipe here:
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup mix orange lentil(masoor dal) and yellow lentil(arhar dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red whole chillies
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Wash and drained the mixture of rice and dals together and put into the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, salt to taste and 3 cups water and cook for 2 whistle.
- When the cooker has cooled down, stir the khichdi, check for consistency and add more water if needed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium high heat, add garlic and spinach leaves. cook for 2-3 minutes. Blend the cooked spinach in food processor and pour it in the khichdi and mix well.
For tampering: On medium heat add oil in a pan, then add cumin seeds followed by red chilli and wait until it gets brown. Pour this mix to the khichdi, be careful while doing this coz it gets splutter when hot oil touches the khichdi. Give a boil and serve hot .
- Serve with pickle of your choice and dollop of ghee on top.