It’s Friday. Time to eat some pizza slices.I love making and eating homemade pizza, it is always the best. But then, I didn’t wanted the same old round pizza, so decided to do some experiment and ended up with this rectangular pizza.I like trying out different crust recipes, different toppings and different shapes of pizza.
This pizza is so good. It’s flavorful, colorful, and delicious to the core.What I like the most is the thin, light and crunchy crust which is so incredibly good.
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup warm water plus 1 tbsp
- 2 1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
For the topping:
- 1 (12 ounce ) can chopped tomatoes, drained and washed
- 1 jalapeno, deveined and thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water and stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 tablespoon of olive oil, dried oregano, garlic powder and salt to the yeast-sugar-water mixture.
- Dump the flour in a large mixing bowl, slowly adding the yeast mixture , knead the dough until smooth and no longer sticky.
- Shape the dough into a large ball and coat lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Place in a bowl and cover with a damp towel. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size about 1 hour.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and roll in rectangular shape such that it can fit in the sheet pan. Brush the top with olive oil.
- Cover and let it rise again until slightly puffed about 1 hour or so.
- Pre heat oven to 500 degree F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine all the ingredients under topping except mozzarella cheese and keep aside.
- Sprinkle the pizzas evenly with grated mozzarella cheese leaving 1/2-inch border on all the sides. Layer tomatoes and jalapeno evenly on the pizza and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle little salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is crisp and the cheeses begin to brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.