When we get bored having cereals and bread for breakfast every week days, i make this simple and easy breakfast called Poha which is a flattened rice or dried rice flakes. My mom use to make this for breakfast or for evening snack to go with a hot cup of tea/chai. Flattened rice is also called Chiura/Chiwda and we use to eat chiura in different ways, by immersing the rice flakes in cold water, drying them and eat with freshly prepared home made yogurt and sugar or fry the chiura’s in couple of tablespoons of oil until golden brown and mix it with fried peanuts, chopped red onions, chillies, lemons and some indian mixtures. Flattened rice/Chiura is the ingredient from which we can put or prepare a fast snack.
- 2 cups Flattened rice/Chiura
- 1/2 cup peanuts and cashews
- 1 medium sized onion, cut in slices
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 green chilli, de-vined and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 8-9 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries to granish
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Soak Flattened rice/Chiura in water, wash and drain the water completely and dry for 5-7 minutes.
- Roast peanuts and cashews with little bit of oil over medium heat and keep it aside.
- In the same skillet heat oil over medium heat, add mustard seeds and let it gets splutter. Add onions and green chillies and cook until the onions are golden brown.
- Add potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves and cook until the potatoes are done.
- Mix in the soaked poha/flattened rice/chiura and stir well. Pour lemon juice over the poha and mix well.
- Garnish with cranberries, roasted peanuts, cashews and corainder leaves to serve.