Egg Plant/baingan ka sabzi
I like egg-plant a lot that i keep experimenting with this all the time, they come in all different shapes and sizes. Recently i have seen and brought a round shaped eggplant from farmers market to which i cut them into slices and grill with some indian seasoning, eat them with roti’s , in between breads as sandwich with greens like lettuce leaves or romaine leaves. When i have time i make bharta by roasting the eggplant in oven first, have tried roasting on gas flame couple of times but in between this my fire alarm goes of, so stopped doing that, just roast it in oven for 30-40 minutes and you really get nice roasted egg plants from which you can make bharta, will surely share the recipe for this soon. Also, i make sabzi’s with egg-plant very often by using different combinations like with spinach, potatoes, carrots, black channa/black chickpeas , bhindi/okra etc..the flavour of eggplants really goes well with other vegetables. You can make this sabzi’s and have it with roti’s /indian bread or rice. They really tastes good. This sabzi is my dad’s favourite , he loves mix vegetable curries with roti’s and coriander chutney.
- 1 medium-sized egg-plant, washed, cut into cubes
- 1 large potato, peeled, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green chilli, de-vined and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes and wash them couple of times, keep the potatoes in water so that it don’t get black in color.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add cumin seeds and let it get brown, add chopped onions followed by garlic, ginger and green chillies, cook until onions are done.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste and cook until masala separates from oil about 5 minutes .
- Drain the potatoes and add it to the pan, also add cubed egg plants and carrots and stir well, cover the pan with the lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring once or twice in between, and cook until the veggies are soft or well done.
- Serve hot with roti’s /indian bread as side dish.