Every home in india knows how to make biryani and everyone has different ways to make it by using the same spices. At my home everyone is vegetarian except me, so my mom obviously make vegetable biryani with lots of veggies. She makes vegetables and rice separately; then layer them resulting in a dish of the contrasting flavors of rice and intensely flavored sauce of vegetables in one vessel. Serve with raita and salads. Biryani making is a long process but the result is worth it and also we make biryani only on some occasions or if some one is visiting so it’s all worth. So i have followed the same recipe instead of vegetables I used chicken.
- 1 medium-sized chicken, cut into pieces.
- 1 tablespoons chilli Powder
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilly flakes
- 2 green chillies, seeded and minced
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt to taste.
For cooking rice:
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 strands of saffron
- 1 teaspoon warm milk
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 bay dried bay leave, tear into two pieces
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- Marinate the Chicken pieces in salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash basmati rice, drained and keep it aside for about 20-25 minutes.
- In one tablespoon of warm milk, soak strands of saffron and wait till it turns yellow and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat and add cumin seeds and let it get brown, add bay leaves, rice and salt, stir in well to coat all rice grains with oil. Pour in water and pressure cook, once done keep it aside.
- Pour soaked saffron on the rice and gently mix all together once.
- In a dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks and dried bay leaves.
- Add thinly sliced onions cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes or so. Stir in the minced garlic,ginger, green chillies and the crushed chilli flakes. Cook until the onions turns brown in color, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste. cook another 5 minutes covering the lid.
- Add the chicken pieces to the sauce; mix properly to coat all the pieces.
- On medium heat cook the chicken about 6-7 minutes.
- Then add water to make some gravy and cover the lid and cook until the chicken is no longer pink near the bone, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.
For assembling Biryani:
- Take a deep pan with a lid on it, heat the pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and spread all under the pan after melting.
- First spread a layer of rice under the bottom of pan, followed by layer of chicken, sprinkle chopped coriander, cashews and golden raisins on top.
- Repeat it again with the layer of rice , followed by chicken , coriander leaves, raisins and cashews. The top most layer should be of rice, sprinkle all leftover coriander leaves, raisins and cashews on the top.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes. Let it rest for sometime and serve.
- Serve with raita and salad.
Have a nice weekend everyone…thanks for visiting my blog…Ciao!