Raita is salty cooling side dish made with yogurt and can served with anything. Raita is made in many ways using cucumber, boondi’s, beetroot etc..the most common raita at my house is cucumber/khira raita which is easy to make yet delicious with roti’s, biryani and paratha’s as side dish. Always serve freshly prepared raita and it has to be chilled. Basically it is used to cool the palate when having spicy indian food.
- 1 cucumber, grated
- 2 cups yogurt, add some water for watery consistency
- Red chilli powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Grate cucumber and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl, add yogurt and some water and mix it well. Now to the yogurt add coarsely grated cucumber, salt , chilli powder and freshly ground black pepper and stir in well and the raita is ready.
- Chill the raita at least for 30-40 minutes so that the flavours combine.
- While serving sprinkle red chilli powder and a slice of cucumber on top of the raita, serve with your main course and enjoy.