Lauki/bottle gourd ki sabzi
Lauki/ bottle gourd is also known as chinese squash and it has pale green smooth skin and white flesh. Lauki has excellent nutritional benefits like its has a moderate amount of Vitamin C and B complex and few protein. Bottle gourd varies in sizes but I always go with the smaller ones which have soft flesh and pulp inside tastes good. Before making the sabzi you have to scrape out the outer skin and discard the same. This is one of my favorite dish with rotis any time.
- 1 small size lauki/bottle gourd/chinese squash
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Scrape the outer skin of the lauki/bottle gourd and cut in cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, add cumin seeds and let it get brown.
- Add onions, garlic , ginger and green chillies and red pepper flakes and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste and cook for 4-5 minutes more.
- Add cubes potatoes and lauki to the masala and stir in well.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook until potatoes and lauki are tender. Stiring in once in a while.
- Serve hot with roti’s.