I have never seen anyone who does not like to have pizza. The name itself makes me hungry, thanks to my genes I don’t have to think much about calorie contents. I like to make pizza at home as we can choose the toppings we like and can control the amount of ingredients going in it. Friday nights in our home are normally Pizza nights. Another great add on to Pizza are Baked Potato wedges or Fries. Here is my recipe.
For pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- pinch of salt
For tomato sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Green bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 of Red Onions, cut in long slices
- 15-20 Black Olives
- 1 Cup Mixed Cheeses
- In a bowl, mix the yeast with warm water, honey, salt, olive oil and stir well.
- Keep it aside for 5-7 minutes or until the yeast starts forming bubbles in it.
- Take flour in a large bowl, slowly add yeast mix and knead the dough with your hands.
- Once dough is ready transfer to a bowl brushed with olive oil. Cover it with kitchen towel and keep the bowl in warm place.
- Approximately 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume. The temperature in the kitchen should be around 65-70 degree fahrenheit for dough to rise properly.
- When the dough is doubled its original size, punch it down to remove all the air bubbles accumulated.
- On a lightly floured surface, rolled the dough using rolling-pin and your hand in a round circle. Make a pizza about 12 inches in diameter.
- Now pizza is ready to get the layer of toppings.
For tomato sauce:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add garlic, onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, salt to taste and cook until oil separates.
- Cool the tomato sauce before layering on the pizza surface.
- Meanwhile cut the veggies for the topping and keep it aside.
- Layer the pizza with tomato sauce followed by green bell pepper, red onions, black olives.
- On the top add cheese to cover all the veggies so that they do not get burned.
- Cook the pizza in a regular over at 400 degree fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pizza is done when the bottom surface is light brown. Check by lifting the surface once.
For the Potato wedges:
- 2 large Idaho Potatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil to coat the wedges
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Wash and scrub the potatoes, but leave the skin on. Slice the potatoes into wedges about 1/2 inch thick.
- Coat the potato wedges with olive oil, black pepper, salt and Thai sweet chilli sauce evenly.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with sliver foil at 400 degree fahrenheit for about 20-25 minutes or till they are golden brown and crisp.
- Enjoy them with your pizza slice and coke.