As I am getting interested in baking day by day, I love to try different things every time. Still there is a lot of things i have to bake in my list. This time i have tried my hands on this beautiful looking scones. I was just watching food network and saw INA Garten preparing scones for breakfast and I got inspired to bake this for myself. Also, this is perfect for breakfast I do not have to worry about making breakfast once i make this. Scones are quick bread of Scottish origin as the name suggests. I love to have my scones with orange marmalade.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup additional for handling and dusting
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 8 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash on top of scones
- Pre heat oven to 400 degree farenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt , baking soda, baking powder and transfer to the mixer bowl.
- Add diced butter to the bowl and blend the flour mixture and butter until it the texture of mixture is rough to touch or have large particles.
- Now mix together sour cream, vanilla extract , eggs, grated orange zest and slowly add it to flour mixture and mix until the dough just combine together.
- Fold in dried cranberries.
- Place dough on clean kitchen counter and knead with some of flour left if required to handle the dough easily to make a large ball.
- Roll the ball-shaped dough with rolling-pin into 1 inch thick round just like you would in case of pizza.
- Use a cookie cutter of 2 1/2 inch thick to cut dough into circles. you may need to flour the cookie cutter.
- Transfer the scones on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake scones for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes and enjoy freshly baked scones for breakfast.
Recipe adapted from: Ina Garten
Have a nice long weekend everyone…enjoy!!