Potato Curry (Aaloo Curry)
This aaloo curry is very simple yet satisfying side dish with bread, roti, puri or rice. When I do not feel like eating any vegetables I make this simple and quick dish. Its has very rich and creamy gravy.
- 1 large Idaho potato
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon crushed tomato
- 1 green chilli, deveined and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon curd or plain yogurt
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Wash and scrub potatoes, leave the skin on, cut in large cubes.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium high heat, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let it get brown and splutter.
- Add chopped onions followed by garlic, ginger and bay leaves, cook until onions are lightly brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste and cook until oil separates.
- Now add cubed potatoes and water and close the lid and cook until 2 whistle.
- Let the cooker cool and then open the lid.
- Add 2 tablespoon of curd or yogurt to make creamy gravy.
- Serve hot with rice and rotis/indian bread.
Note – You can also use a deep pan with lid to cook this. I use pressure cooker as it is easier and quick.