One of the memories of Mumbai that always makes me nostalgic is Vada Pav. It is a street food which is so part of Mumbai you just cannot miss it and everyone enjoys it at there favorite corner joint. We had this place near our college in Churchgate, Mumbai where we use to go during break to eat this delightful snack and after passing out while working as well I found a spot near VT Station which had Jumbo Vada Pav’s which were massive.
There is no time to eat it in Mumbai, it is a quick thing to grab day or night, rain or sun, rush or no rush and you do not have to go looking for it, it is there everywhere.
Vada Pav is a Maharashtrian vegetarian fast food consisting of potato vada between two slices of bread called Pav. Here is my recipe for the same, enjoy..
- 1 cup gram flour/besan
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green chillies, chopped
- 6-7 fresh curry leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- salt to taste
- 4-6 long green chillies
- Oil for deep-frying
For Green chutney:
- 1 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green chilli
- 1 teaspoon oil
For Onion masala:
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
And 10-12 Pav bread
- Boil Potatoes in pressure cooker, once cooled, peeled and mashed the same. Keep it aside.
- In a pan heat a teaspoon of oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let it get brown and splutter. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, chilli powder, curry leaves and cook for 1 minute, so that the raw smell of turmeric goes of and immediately add mashed potatoes to the pan and mix everything well.
- Let the potato mixture cool enough to handle with your hand and make small balls and keep it aside. This will make around 10-12 small balls.
- Meanwhile make batter for dipping vada. Mix all the ingredients for the batter and slowly add water to make thick batter.
- Heat oil for deep-frying vadas, once the oil is heated enough, dip the potato balls in batter and drop carefully into the oil. Fry the vada until golden brown in all sides. Drain on paper towel.
- Also, deep fry long green chillies dip in the batter to serve.
- Grind all the ingredients under green chutney except oil. Add oil in the end and keep it aside.
- For onion masala, take a bowl, mix all the ingredients under onion masala and keep it aside.
For assembling Vada Pav:
- Slit Pav horizontally but not completely to the end(leave the other end joined), heat a pan, brush it with oil and toast the pav placing inner side down for 1-2 minutes or until you get a slight golden brown.
- Once the pav is toasted, spread green chutney on one side, place onion masala over green chutney and then place then vada on it and gently press it down.
- Serve with green chillies .
Thanks for dropping by and for all your lovely comments…appreciated…Have a nice weekend everyone…