Chili chicken is very popular side dish served in restaurant and take outs in India with noodles or cooked white rice.
On the weekend I got some skinless, boneless chicken thigh pieces and it was just sitting in the fridge, when I saw the date of consumption I thought of make something with this and immediately in my mind I thought of this spicy, yummy chili chicken.
- 1 lb Chicken thigh pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Cut the chicken thigh pieces into small bite size pieces and marinade it with 1 1/2 tablespoon of all-purpose flour, salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop one half of an onion and dice the other half it into big chunks and keep it aside.
- Heat oil for deep-frying the chicken, once the oil is heated enough, slowly add the chicken in batches and deep-frying until golden brown. Drain the excess oil from it.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium high heat, add ginger and chopped garlic followed by chopped onion, diced onion chunks, red chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced green bell pepper chunks and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, water( around 1 1/2 to 2 cups) for consistency. Check the taste of the sauce and accordingly add some salt to it.
- Mix corn starch with 1/3 cup of water and slowly with one spoon at a time add it to the sauce. Stir well after adding one spoon and check the consistency, if you need more thick sauce you may add more corn starch. I have added around 2 spoons of it.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces to the sauce and mix altogether. Cook for 2-3 more minutes .
- Sprinkle chopped green chillies on top and Serve hot with rice or noodles.