Chole is one of the best dish loved and eaten by every indian. This is usually served with bhature or poori’s. Chole is prepared by white chick peas which is also called kabuli channa in hindi. Chick peas has a lot of nutritional values and its a good source of carbohydrates and protein.
- 2 cups white chickpeas
- 1 small potato, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/3 cup of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice( you can adjust as per your taste)
- 2 tablespoon oil plus 1 teaspoon oil
- salt to taste
- Soak chickpeas overnight , drain the same and pressure cook the chole with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 2 whistle. Do not over cook the chickpeas otherwise it will get mashed while making curry.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium high heat, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let it get splutter.
- Add chopped onion followed by ginger, garlic, red chilli flakes and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder , salt to taste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes and cover the lid and cook for 1 more whistle. Let the cooker cool down and then open the lid.
- Mashed the potatoes little bit to thicken the gravy.
- Add boiled chick peas, tamarind juice and 1 cup of water to the gravy and give a boil.
- Serve with chopped onions, cucumber, green chillies, chopped tomatoes and sliced lemon on top.