Almond, Pine nuts, Apricots and Cranberries Coffee Cake
I had made this coffee cake several times and it always a hit at my house, so thought of sharing this here. This is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. I have adapted this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis and made some minor changes to suit my taste palette.
- 1/2 cup whole Almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted for garnishing
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted for garnishing
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Heat a pan and slightly toast whole almonds and pine nuts. Be careful while toasting the nuts, do not take your eye off it or else they will get burn.
- Once toasted, cool of little bit and grind it into a fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Also, toast sliced almonds and pine nuts for garnishing and keep it aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg fahrenheit and prepare a cake pan by brushing the sides with butter and sprinkling flour.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl including powder of almonds and pine nuts and keep it aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat eggs and sugar until pale yellow.
- Add butter, milk and almond extract and mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Now add chopped apricots and dried cranberries to the batter and gently stir to mix altogether.
- Pour batter in prepared cake pan of 9 inch and sprinkle the top with sliced almonds and pine nuts evenly.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown on the top and tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean about 40-45 minutes.
- Once done, take the cake out and loosen the side by using a sharp knife and let it cool for sometime.
- Turn the cake out, slice in individual pieces to serve.
And Once again thankyou everyone for visiting my blog and for all your kind comments.
Have a wonderful weekend guys!