Before making anything with this beautiful looking greens I have decided to taste and must say Arugula tastes peppery and has a strong flavour for a leafy green. This salad I have adapted from Barefoot Contessa – Back to Basics by Ina Garten which I got on my birthday as a present. As I am showing lots of interest in cooking these days, so my dear hubby gifted me these two cooking books, the other one is Giada’s Family Dinners. After getting this and browsing through the recipes I cannot decide what to make as everything looks delicious to me.
So, I gave this choice to my hubby to decide what he wants from the book and he said this colorful salad which is so refreshing for this season.
- 5 ounce baby Arugula leaves
- 2 chicken leg pieces
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 dried cranberries
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon apple sider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 deg fahrenheit.
- Coat chicken leg pieces with generous amount of salt, pepper and olive oil and roast in for 40-45 minutes. Cool of completely and take the bones out and cut into small bite sized chunks.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the arugula leaves, chicken pieces, apple, walnuts and cranberries and keep it aside.
- Combine everything under dressing except salt and slowly whisk to incorporate well.
- Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with pinch of salt and toss well. Serve immediately.