Serving Yields: 2-3 persons
White pizza with Arugula Greens
This is another dish from the book Barefoot Contessa – Back to Basics by Ina Garten. As you have seen the arugula salad, I had some leftover arugula leaves from the package which I did not use in the salad. So, thought of making this white pizza. This is very simple pizza with some fresh cheese. I had made this for our last Friday night dinner and needless to say it turned out lovely. The cheese used in this pizza is fresh mozzarella and goat cheese.
For the pizza dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For garlic oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounce baby arugula leaves
- handful of walnuts for garnishing
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a bowl, mix the yeast with warm water, honey, salt, olive oil and stir well.
Keep it aside for 5-7 minutes or until the yeast starts forming bubbles on it.
Take flour in a large bowl, slowly add yeast mix and knead the dough with your hands.
Once dough is ready transfer to a bowl brushed with olive oil. Cover it with kitchen towel and keep the bowl in warm place.
Approximately 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume. The temperature in the kitchen should be around 65-70 degree fahrenheit for dough to rise properly.
Meanwhile make garlic oil.
Heat oil in a small sauce pan over low heat, add sliced garlic and red chilli flakes and cook for 10 minutes, do not let the garlic burn. Stir continuously, once done keep it aside.
When the dough is doubled its original size, punch it down to remove all the air bubbles accumulated.
Divide the dough into two equal portions.
On a lightly floured surface, rolled the dough using rolling-pin and your hand in a round circle. Make a pizza about 7-8 inches in diameter.
Repeat it for the other portion of dough.
Now pizza is ready to get the layer of toppings.
- On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, place both the pizza side by side. Brush them with garlic oil and sprinkle each one with black pepper.
- Layer the pizza with grated mozzarella cheese and goat cheese. Brush garlic oil on top of it.
- Bake the pizza in a regular over at 400 degree fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pizza is done when the bottom surface is light brown. Check by lifting the surface once.
- Meanwhile, for dressing the arugula leaves, Mix olive oil, black pepper, lemon juice , salt to taste and whisk altogether.
- When the pizza is done, take arugula leaves in a large bowl and add enough dressing to just moisten the leaves.
- Keep a large bunch on top of each pizza, garnish with walnuts and serve immediately.