Aloo aur Channa Dal Sabzi
My mom would make this sabzi once in a while. On the weekend I was talking to her and she had prepared this sabzi for dinner, so I thought to make this for our dinner too. I like the taste of channa dal and aloo/potatoes together. It compliments the taste of each other.
- 1 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup channa dal
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- Soak channa dal in water for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in pan over high heat, add cumin seeds and let it get brown.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chillies followed by onions and cook until onions are slightly brown.
- Add crushed tomatoes, curry leaves,turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes cover the lid of the pan.
- Add potatoes and channa dal and cover the pan and cook until potatoes are tender and channa dal has little bite to it not mushy.
- Serve with hot roti’s.