I was in search of most elegant, beautiful and yet deliciously good cake for my hubby birthday. And then I came across this site Passionate About Baking and the moment I visited I was on the cloud nine by just looking at the wonderful recipes. I spent almost an hour there going through each and every recipes posted. They are just awesome. If you have not visited the same, check it out.
I decided to make a Chocolate Genoise Cake with mascarpone cheese frosting. At first I was little bit nervous how its going to turn out because this is the first time I am going to frost the cake . It turned out awesome. It was so soft and perfect, also after having one or two slice you will not feel that you had something heavy. It is so light and full of flavor. Just heavenly!
And about my hubby he was thrilled to see this surprise, I know even if I do not do anything he will be happy but I just wanted to do something special for him. He just loved every slice and could not stop saying how good it turned out.
So, here is what I did:
For chocolate Genoise Cake:
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/3 all-purpose flour
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare a 9-inch pan by buttering the sides and dusting with flour. Also, place a parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg fahrenheit.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder three times together and keep it aside.
- Heat water in a large pot and bring it to boil, simmer the gas and place a heat-resistant bowl with the eggs and sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar is compelety dissolved and make sure you do not turned the eggs into scrambled eggs. Once done transfer this mixture to the mixer bowl and turn off the gas.
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat the egg and sugar mixture until fluffy or cream like texture on highest speed of the mixer.
- Meanwhile place the butter and vanilla on the boiled water and let it get warm.
- Now add the sifted flour and cocoa powder little at a time to the egg mixture and gently incorporate the same with the mixture by using a rubber spatula. You may have to add in 3 batches.
- Once the batter and egg mixture incorporated well add the butter and vanilla to this batter and mix gently.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and pat it on the kitchen counter to level the same.
- Bake at 350 deg fahrenheit for about 35-40 minutes or once the cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool it on wire rack.
- Till here I have done the day before and once the cake is cooled off completely, wrapped it in clear foil and kept in fridge overnight.
- 12 ounce mascarpone cheese
- 200 ml low-fat cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 unsweetened dark chocolate, for garnishing
- and some coffee beans
- Prepare a coffee syrup with 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder and cool it before applying to the cake.
- With a wooden spoon mix mascarpone cheese and cream together until you get a smooth cream. Add coffee powder and sugar and mix well. Frosting is ready to apply on cake.
- Cut the cake horizontally in two pieces. Place the lower end on pedestal, brush the top with coffee syrup and then frost it with half of the cream.
- Gently keep the upper end on the cream and then brush on top with coffee syrup and frost with the remaining cream on top and on to the sides of the cake.
- Grate dark chocolate on top and garnish with some coffee beans.
Cake is ready to Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from PassionateAboutBaking.