Recipe Yields: 12-14 biscotti
Chocolate Biscotti with Pistachios
Biscotti(pronounced bis kotti) is a twice baked Italian biscuits/cake. I have already made and posted cranberries biscotti which was a huge hit at my house and I do not even remember how many times I have baked it after my first attempt. So, this time wanted to try the chocolate version with pistachios and hence made this.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cups dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 Tablespoons or one stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 Extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cups roughly chopped pistachios
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mark an area of 12 inch long and 3 inch wide approximately on the parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, dutch process cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachments, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined, beat in vanilla , instant coffee powder and orange zest. Add flour mixture and mix on low-speed till just combined. Stir roughly chopped pistachios to the flour mixture using rubber spatula.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dough will be sticky, use wet hands to handle the dough easily. Turn out the dough into a log of 12 inch long and 3 inch wide.
- Bake until the log is almost firm to touch or lightly golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Place the log on the cutting board and cut into slices 3/4 inch thick on the diagonal. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down on the parchment paper and bake for 12-13 minutes or until crisp and dry. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely. Store the biscotti’s in air tight container and enjoy.