Pistachio and Chocolate Semifreddo
Semifreddo is an italian dessert which is typically a frozen dessert like an ice cream but not compelety ice cream. It has a texture of frozen mousse because it is made by combining equal parts of ice cream and whipped cream. I had this dessert long time back in an italian restaurant and love the texture and wanted to try this at home. The best part is you can make this couple of days ahead if you are entertaining and serve it as a dessert. Your guests will be thrilled to see something like this and will enjoy every bite by complimenting. Also, you don’t have to cook anything for making this dessert. You can make individual serving or can use any mould to freeze the same and cut in desired shapes before serving.
Recipe Adapted from: here
For Pistachio Semifreddo:
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pistachio paste
- 2 eggs separated
- 3Tbsp sugar
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Make sure to leave plenty of paper around the edges so that you can fold over to cover the freddo.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar first and then add pistachio paste and mix everything well.
- Beat in egg whites until peak forms. In another bowl whip the cream until medium peak forms but before it loses its liquidity.
- Combine egg yolk-pistachio mixture with egg whites and fold in lightly with the help of rubber spatula until fully incorporated.
- Now Fold in cream with the mixture , do this gently but quickly and make sure you get a homogenous mixture.
- Once you get the homogenous mixture, pour half of the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
For Chocolate semifreddo :
- 50g dark unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100 ml heavy cream
- Melt chocolate in double boiler until smooth and shiny or no longer solid. Remove from heat and continue to stir until it gets cool down. Now add egg yolks and sugar and blend at high-speed until it incorporated completely.
- Beat in egg whites until medium peak forms. In another bowl whip the cream until soft peak forms but before it loses its liquidity.
- Combine egg yolks-chocolate mixture with egg whites and fold in lightly with the help of rubber spatula until fully incorporated.
- Now fold in cream with the mixture , do this gently but quickly and make sure you get a homogenous mixture.
- Once you get the homogenous mixture, pour it into the prepared loaf pan on top of pistachio freddo and then pour the remaining pistachio mixture on top of the chocolate as if you making a layer of three.
- Fold the parchment paper on top and keep it in freezer. Freeze at least 4 to 5 hours before serving or overnight or even couple of days ahead. If you making this couple of days ahead make sure to take out before serving or else it will too hard on serving.
- For serving remove the loaf pan from the freezer and open the parchment paper from top. Turn the semifreddo out of the loaf pan to a serving platter and remove the parchment paper. With a knife dip in hot water, slice the semifreddo into slices and garnish with some pistachio and serve.
Its so refreshing!