Recipe Yields: 5-6 servings
Who does not love to have this kind of rich and elegant food in their menu once in while. I said once in while because as every one know making Biryani is little bit time-consuming compared to the rest of foods. Especially on weekends it’s really difficult to put together such things as we are running around, cleaning, shopping and what not. Also, weekends are the only time when you will feel like having such kind of meal. At least at my house my mom would make this biryani which is just Heavenly, on weekends. When we all sit together and can enjoy this delicious Biryani.
So, here goes the recipe:
- 1 medium-sized white onion,cut in slices
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cup green beans, cut diagonally into long strips
- 1 beet root, peeled, cut in Julienne
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut in Julienne
- 1 cup green bell pepper, cut in slices
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 green chillies, deveined and cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon chilli Powder
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large tomato, cut in big chunks
- 1 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts and cashews in oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 dried bay leaves
- Salt to taste
For cooking rice:
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay dried bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Wash basmati rice, drained and keep it aside for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add thinly sliced onions followed by ginger, garlic, green chillies and cook until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes or so.
- Add all the veggies starting from cauliflower, beans, peas, carrots and then beet roots and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste. Cook the veggies for 5-6 minutes or until they are slightly tender.
- Garnish with some of cilantro/coriander leaves. Once done keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin seeds, bay leaves and let it get slighty brown and then add the soaked rice, salt and stir well so that each of the rice grain gets coated with oil.
- Add 4 cups of water and cover the lid and cook for 1 whistle.
- Let the cooker cool down and then open the lid.
For assembling Biryani:
- Take a deep pan with a lid on it, heat the pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and spread all under the pan after it gets melted.
- First spread a layer of rice under the bottom of pan, followed by layer of veggies, sprinkle chopped coriander, cashews , peanuts and dried cranberries on top.
- Repeat it again with the layer of rice , followed by veggies , coriander leaves, peanuts, cashews and cranberries. The top most layer should be of rice, sprinkle all leftover coriander leaves, peanuts, cashews and cranberries .
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Let it rest for sometime and serve.
- Serve with raita and salad.
One more closer look of the biryani..