Laddu is sweet which is part of south asian cuisine. It is normally prepared on festivals or given as prasad at temples. It is usually made with flour and sugar which is binded together to form small golf sized balls. There are lots of varieties of laddu like besan laddu(made from gram flour), suji laddu (made from semolina), bundi laddu, motichor laddu and so on.
A nice twist on this sweet is one made of Cocunut called Nariyal Laddu. It is just like a truffle, so smooth and creamy that it just melts in your mouth. And believe me if you try this one you will definitely going to get addicted with this wonderful laddu’s.
It is also very simple to make with just 4-5 ingredients and without much hassle.
So here is the recipe of delicious Coconut/Nariyal laddu.
- 4 cups fresh coconut, outer skin/brown skinned removed and grated
- 12 oz condensed milk.
- 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp ghee/Clarified butter
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 15-16 slightly roasted whole Almond
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut flakes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in dutch oven over medium high heat, add grated coconut and on low flame cook the same stirring continuously, so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes and then add the condensed milk and mix everything properly.
- Keep stirring continuously until the mixture gets thick and begin to stick together. After 3-4 minutes you will see everything combined together then, just take small amount of the mixture and try making a ball and if it does not fall through then the mixture is ready make laddu.
- At this point of time add cardamom powder and dried cranberries to the mixture and mix everything well.Turn of the flame and wait for couple of minutes for mixture to cool down little bit to handle without burning your fingers. But the mixture should not be cooled of completely otherwise you will not able to make laddos.
- Take a small amount of mixture in between your palms and roll down into a golf sized ball. Make a small hole and insert an almond and again roll the laddos into a smooth ball.
- Now roll the laddos in fresh coconut flakes to cover them on top. Keep it on the baking sheet.
- Repeat the above two steps to complete the rest of the mixture.
- Once done, preheat the oven to 400 deg farhenit.
- Bake the laddos for 4-5 minutes in the oven or until you see the coconut flakes on top gets slightly golden brown. It will not take more than 5 minutes.
- Cool off completely and enjoy this little goodness.