Tiramisu is one of the most popular Italian dessert. It is made with biscuits dipped in coffee, layered with mixture of egg yolks, mascarpone cheese and cream. And garnish with unsweetened cocoa powder sifted on top which compliments the sweetened cheese mixture.
And the best part about this dessert is you do not have to go through the hassle of baking and cooking. It just required some whipping and layering. And you end up with most heavenly, utterly gorgeous and decadent dessert.
Whenever we go out to eat Italian, it’s never happened that I have not ordered this dessert. As soon as I get the menu the first thing I see if they have tiramisu on the menu and the rest you can figure it out…:). So, far the best tiramisu I had is from Olive Garden and now made by ME.
This is my 100th post and what better dessert than this to celebrate and enjoy..
So, coming back to the recipe:
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone Cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 24 Italian ladyfinger biscuits
- 1 square semisweet Chocolate bar, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, dusting
- To start with I chill the bowl I will be whipping the cream in.
- Combine the egg yolks with sugar on a double boiler. I do this by keeping a bowl over a boiling water.
- Stir it constantly, reduce the heat to low and cook this for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat, whisk the mixture in an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment for about 5 minutes or until it turns thick and pale yellow.
- Lower the speed to medium, add mascarpone and whisk until smooth.
- Take out your chilled bowl from fridge and whip cream until soft peaks are formed.
- Gently fold in the egg yolk and cheese mixture and keep it aside.
- Mix instant coffee granules with 1 cup of hot water and keep it in a swallow bowl. This will be your espresso mixture.
- Dip both the sides of each ladyfinger in espresso mixture and line the bottom of a dish.
- Pour half of the cream mixture on top of the biscuit layer.
- Repeat with dipping both the side of biscuits and placing them in a second layer in the dish.
- Pour the rest of the cream mixture on the top. Smooth the top and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with grated chocolate bar and also dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.