Dal pithi is a dish from Bihari cuisine and it is a fresh pasta cooked in legumes. Dal means legumes and pithi means dumplings made out of whole wheat flour. Typically dal pithi is served with chokha which is mashed potatoes fried with some onions, green chillies and pickle masala. This combo is the best comfort food to put together.
I remember when mom used to fall sick, dad would enter the kitchen and for dinner we used to have this almost everyday till mom feels better. This is only dish dad knows how to cook and feed us. And we used to enjoy making the dumplings with him in different shapes and sizes. His dumplings were always used to be big and we used to say dad make it little bit smaller and he will say oh this will taste better when it cooks..:)
We made this over the weekend when I was down with flu. Also, my 2 year old son helped us to make the dumplings. He was so engrossed in making the dumplings and making sure mom and dad gets each one of them made by him. With his cute voice he says momma here’s ATTA (hindi for flour) …
- 1/4 cup orange lentils/masoor dal
- 1/4 cup yellow lentils/arhar dal
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 red dried whole chilli
- Wash and pressure cook dal with turmeric powder, salt to taste and 2 cups of water.
- Meanwhile, add water slowly to the wheat flour until the dough starts to come together. Knead the dough until soft but not sticky.Divide the dough into 15 equal parts.
- Take one of the ball, roll it into small circle about 2-3 inch in diameter. keep flouring the dough. Now join two ends together and other ends together as shown above (you can make it in any shape you like).
- Repeat to complete the rest of the dough.
- Open the pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water, must be sufficient to cook the dumplings. Give a boil.
- Once the dal starts boiling, add the dumplings and cover the lid and cook by stirring once in a while.
- Cook until the dumplings are soft and tender about 15-20 minutes.
- For tampering: On medium heat add oil in a pan, then add cumin seeds followed by red chilli and wait until it gets brown. Pour this to the dal pithi, be careful while doing this coz it gets splutter when hot oil touches the dal. Give a boil and serve hot .
Serve hot with chokha, pickle and ghee on top. Enjoy!