Baking cookies, cake or even using an oven is what I have learned after coming to US. Also, we used to refer cookies as biscuits. But here biscuits are kind of quick bread like butter milk biscuits, scones and etc. I love biscuits and there were times when I used to finish a whole packet without sharing even a single piece with anyone. My most favorite packet of biscuit used to be Britannia Good Day Biscuits especially with the nuts one..mmm…while writing this post I am totally visualizing the flavor in my mouth. The taste of biscuits were more crispy, soft and buttery which is so addictive.
Since I was in a mood of baking some cookies, I have decided to make some Nan Khatai. Nan Khatai(Naan Khat-aa-ee) is a popular Indian traditional biscuits. These are extremely light but sweet and just melts in the mouth. Traditionally this is made with clarified butter or “ghee”, but i have used unsalted butter here.These are the best cookies I have ever tried, which is very simple to make and incredibly good. Its is best served with a cup of tea or you can munch in between anytime to feel good… 🙂
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon crushed pistachios
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the ingredients under topping and keep it aside for later use.
- Sift flour, baking soda and semolina in a medium bowl. Keep it aside.
- Line two baking sheet with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and powdered sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add yogurt and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and knead them together to make smooth and soft dough.
- Divide the dough into about 20 equal parts and make them into balls.
- Flatten balls between the palms of your hands to form small rounds about 1″ (inch) in thickness. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- With your thumb finger make a little depression in the centre of each cookie and place the pistachio and cardamom mixture in it.Lightly press the mixture in dough.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.
- Bake one sheet at a time for perfectly baked biscuits.
- Store biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!
- Yogurt and butter should be at room temperature.
- Bake one sheet at a time to insure a perfectly baked biscuits.