Since childhood my body is programmed in such a way that I need to have rice once in a day. If I don’t have rice once, it feels like I didn’t had anything to eat and will start craving for some. Whenever we used to travel and after reaching home, the only food you want to have is simple dal chawal(rice). Atleast this happens to everyone in my house.
Sometimes I don’t feel like cooking from the scratch but still wanted to have something simple which requires not much cooking and still satisfy my palate. For those days this one pot meal is perfectly fits in the menu. This dish is simple pulao with orange lentil and some veggies. You can add or omit whatever you have in your hand and make this.Hence made this version of pulao which is truly satisfying and delicious at the same time.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper+green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon corinader powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a deep skillet, add cumin seeds and let it get brown.
- Add onions, garlic, bay leaves, green chillies and cook until onions turns slight brown in color.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, carrots, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste. Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Wash rice and dal together for 2-3 times in running water and then add it to the pan and mix everything together.
- Add 2 cups of water, cover the pan and cook on medium heat untl the rice is done and all the water is evaporated.
- In between the half way of cooking rice, add chopped pepper to the pan and mix everything and cook.
- Once done, uncover the pan and fluff it with fork and serve hot with raita and pickle of your choice. Enjoy!!