I always thought making ice cream would be a long process and required tons of work. Because once when we were visiting our grandparents, my uncle made vanilla ice cream in a manual ice cream maker, which took almost 2 hours for us to devour the amazing homemade ice cream. Everyone in the neighborhood was invited for this treat and we all were patiently waiting and watching every step uncle was doing. Once he was done with the process, each one of us cousins jumped on him to give us a bowl full of it. And then eating every spoon just like we never had anything like it before. It was long time ago but still I remember like the day before and those memories makes me smile.
I never gave a thought of making ice cream at home until I saw Mango kesar kulfi at Aipi’s blog. Her pictures, presentation and writing made me try my hands right away on the recipe. Thanks Aipi for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Kulfi or qulfi is a famous milk based frozen dessert popular through out in India. It is similar to ice cream but more dense and creamier in taste. Recently I was having some friends over and what better dessert to serve then home-made kulfi. I made the kulfi and it was awesome. Needless to say my friends enjoyed every bite of it.It Try it out yourself and you will know what I am talking about.
- 1, 14 ounce can, Sweetened condensed milk
- 1, 12 ounce can, Evaporated milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cup Mango pulp
- 1 cup(1/2 pint) Heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Kesar, crushed
- 1/4 cup pistachio (soaked in water for 30 minutes, peeled)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- Dixie cups for freezing
- Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.Continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks. Once done, keep it aside.
- Combine rest of the ingredients in a blender including both the nuts into a smooth mixture.
- Gently fold in the above mango nut mixture with the heavy cream.
- Pour in individual Dixie cups and cover it with aluminium foil and freeze for at least 7-8 hrs, preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, place the cups under running water for few seconds and carefully remove the same. cut into big slices and place on a serving dish, garnish with chopped pistachios, kesar strands and serve!