Memorial day weekend was full of fun, we were visiting our friends place in Ohio for a week. Our memorial day started early friday and we reached there around midnight. Even after a long drive as soon as we saw them we all were fully charged and ready for a long night talk. Even my two-year old does not wanted go to bed. We chatted the whole night almost till the sunrise. Then on memorial day we went for a day trip to an island in Lake Erie and enjoyed day of fun and jet skiing.
Weekend is over and after coming home it was so difficult to go in kitchen and cook something. My friend had made incredibly delicious dishes every day and pampering us with everything. It was like I have visited home and eating all delicious foods made by my mom… Just bliss!!
I still have not cooked anything so far, this dish is one that I made earlier.
Stuffed pepper or more precisely in Indian term Bharva mirch is one of my all time comfort dish, hubby loves this too. This is another one of those dish which looks like they take a lot of time and effort to put together but it is very easy. There are different variation to this recipes but traditionally this is stuffed with mashed potatoes which is seasoned with some indian spices and herbs. And you’ve got yourself a perfect, healthy and delicious side dish to serve along with roti or rice.
- 1 large Idaho potato
- 3 medium-sized green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon white onion
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon raw mango powder
- handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- Wash the green peppers well and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tops off. Remove the seeds and membranes inside and make a hollow.Keep all cleaned peppers aside for later use.
- Wash the potatoes and then boil till soft. Peel, mash roughly and keep aside for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and cook till spluttering stops. Now add chopped onions, green chillies and garlic and fry till the onions turns light golden.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder garam masala powder and fry for 1 minute. Add the mashed potato and mix well to blend with all the spices. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Turn off the fire, add dried mango powder and salt to taste and mix well. This will be our potato stuffing . Cool of the mixture before stuffing the peppers.
- Fill each green pepper to the top with the mashed potato mix. Press down and top up to ensure they are well filled.
Heat the remaining cooking oil in a pan on a low flame. Add the onions, garlic, green chillies and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder and cook for 4-5 minutes. Place the stuffed bell peppers in the pan on the masala and cook them covered on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn them to sides in-between so that they could get brown on all sides. Place the peppers on a serving dish carefully and drop the rest of the masala on top of it to serve.
- Serve this scrumptious dish along with roti..