Hi everyone…I am glad to be back blogging, I hope you’ll are doing well, I am doing good too.
Let me start with saying this – Why didn’t I did this earlier?. Seriously this the first thing came in my mind after trying out this homemade granola. It’s delicious and so easy to make that you will never go back to the boxed cereal. It was my first time making granola and I’ll be sure to do it again. This homemade granola is that good and ADDICTIVE! This homemade granola is a wonderful mixture of grains, nuts, fruits and hint of chocolate.
Don’t feel intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it is all just measure, mix and bake and the delicious results are very well worth. It’s also a fun recipe for kids to help measure and mix. On top of that what I like the most is you can substitute whatever ingredients you like… the kind of flavor you want to add (or not add), and which ingredients you have on hand.
I love this in a bowl of yogurt and some berries on top. On the other hand hubby likes to have this with cold milk or just as a snack. And to my little one he loves to pick all the cranberries and chocolate chips when he sees the jar open…:)
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light olive oil, vegetable oil,or canola oil
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup dried fruits (such as cranberries, cherries, chopped apricots, etc.)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips(I have used both white and dark chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine oats, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk honey, oil and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well. Spread mixture evenly onto prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring and re-spreading a few times with a spatula, until entire mixture is medium golden brown. Watch carefully, it burns quickly and will brown first in the corners and on the bottom.
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool on wire rack, stirring occasionally.
- Add the apricots, cranberries, cherries and the chocolate chips.
- Store the cooled granola in an airtight container in refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks. Enjoy!!