Bitter Gourd or bitter melon also called Karela in Hindi, is a popular vegetable in India. Not many people like this veggie but I happen to love this veggie. In order to cook this veggie you need some cooking technique to minimize the bitterness and enjoy the vegetable. Usually I made simple stir fry with lots of onion. But this time I got some beautiful small bitter gourds. So, I thought of making this stuffed karela’s( my MIL’s recipe). I love all the dishes made by her.
- 8-9 small bitter gourd
- 1 big onion, grated
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2-inch of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 green chill, chopped
- 2 teaspoon pickle masala(I have used carrot & chilli pickle, mother’s recipe brand)
- salt to taste
- Wash and Scrap the rough edges of bitter gourd and keep aside.
- Make a slit in the center on each gourd for stuffing and scoop out the hard seeds from inside, make sure not to slit all the way.
- Sprinkle salt on the bitter gourd’s and to the peelings and let it sit for 1-2 hours. Then, wash and pat dry the bitter gourd’s. This process helps to remove bitterness from the bitter gourd. Squeeze out the excess moisture from the peeling.
- And pound those scoop out hard seeds in pestle coarsely, mix it with gourd peeling, grated ginger and keep it aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of mustard oil in skillet on medium heat. Wait for oil to heat before adding onion and asafoetida, sauté onions until translucent.Now add gourd peelings-seed mixture, turmeric powder, coriander powder, gram masala powder, red chilli powder, green chill and salt to taste . Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes.Once the masala is properly cooked, add pickle masala and amchur powder and taste for seasoning.
- Add stuffing mixture to the bitter gourds and do not over-stuff.
- Heat mustard oil in a wide skillet on medium heat.Once heated, shallow fry each gourds until golden on all the sides. Keep turning them gently so that they get cooked evenly on all the sides. This whole process will take 25-30 minutes on low heat.
- Serve hot with Dal and Rice. Enjoy!
- If you are not using any pickle masala increase the amount of amchur powder or you can also add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Try to use small bitter gourds.
- You can also tie the gourd’s with thread after stuffing or else take care while flipping to the sides. I didn’t tie my gourd’s.