After my homemade granola success, I was in a mood to try my hands on some chewy, nutritious granola bars. I often want a breakfast that’s healthy and filling. But these are not just for breakfast or for a brunch , I enjoyed many of these bars with a cup of tea for my evening snack. These granola bars are perfect treat to take along when going for a bike riding or for a long walk. No doubt this is delicious and healthy treat to devour without even feeling guilty.
Hubby and I are OBSESSED like, a box a week obsessed with Kashi Cherry Dark Chocolate Chewy Granola Bars. So, I wanted to have a homemade alternative. Again, like homemade granola this recipe is so easy to make. Plus you can customize it according to your liking. And homemade is the best way, right? So, go ahead and try this tasty, healthy treat for yourself…
Recipe Adapted from: http://www.joyfulabode.com/
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- pinch of cinnamon
- Start with 1/2 cup of almonds, walnuts and old-fashioned oats and dump everything into a food processor and process the ingredients until they are coarsely ground. Be careful not to powdered the ingredients, we need small bite sizes pieces which make the bars more dense and help them stick together.
- Roughly chop the remaining nuts, then mix all these with the above mixture.
- Add remaining old-fashioned oats, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, then mix well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut oil, honey, salt, vanilla & almond extracts, and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour over nut mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the granola mixture to a greased 9 by 9-inch baking dish lined with plastic wrap (cling foil) hanging to the sides and press firmly to evenly fill. Gently press the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola. Let the granola mixture set in the refrigerator until firm, about 2 to 3 hours minimum, or a day before cutting into squares(or desired shapes).
- Wrap individual granola bars in cling foil and store in refrigerator. Have this for breakfast with a glass of smoothie or as a snack. Enjoy!