What is Omurice? It’s basically a Japanese version of Omelette served with fried rice and ketchup on top.
This recipe is completely new to me. I mean I have had egg omelette with veggies, but not with fired rice. I always loved fried rice with scrambled eggs, so knew it would taste good and the dish really surprised me with the end result.
Another plus point is that you don’t need any special ingredients for making this dish and its super easy to make. I made the fried rice with jalapeño Chicken sausage, which we got it from Trader Joe’s but you can replace the chicken with any vegetable/meat you have in hand.
Serve hot with some simple green salad and there you go with a power packed dinner in matter of minutes. Enjoy!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 fully cooked jalapeño chicken sausage, chopped into little pieces
- 1/2 of small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- Salt/pepper for seasoning
- 1 sheet clear/plastic wrap
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, corn starch, and skim milk. Season with salt and pepper and beat with a fork until everything is well mixed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute nicely until onion changes color and becomes transparent.
- Add chopped sausage meat to the onions and cook for 4-5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked white rice to the skillet and cook for 2-3 more minutes. In the end add chopped coriander leaves to the fried rice. Mix well. Once done add ketchup to the fried rice and stir the whole thing well. Keep this aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, grease with some oil and then pour beaten egg mixture and turn the skillet from all the sides to form a round, thin layer of egg.
- Line a plate with plastic wrap and keep it aside.
- Cook for minute or so, then gently flip the omelette to the other side.
- Cook the other side for about 1 minute, then slide your omelette onto your sheet of plastic wrap.
- Spoon fried rice into the center of your omelette, and spread evenly.
- Gently fold your omelette with the help of clear/plastic wrap and transfer the same on serving plate and carefully remove the wrap.
- Drizzle with some ketchup and serve!