Dal-chawal is my all time comfort food.Back home, every day my mom makes one kind dal for lunch. There are so many varieties of Dal (lentils) that everyday of the week you can have one and the good thing is they all taste different.
So keeping the tradition continue I too make dal at home everyday, sometime adding some vegetables, greens to it. Or sometimes combining the different types of dal. If you have little one at home I think this is the best food to include in their diet.
This simple dal fry is very easy to make and exotic enough for serving to guests. As the name suggest it is 5 different types of dals(lentils) cooked together. We had this for our weekend lunch with rice, roti and bhindi sabzi.
- 2 tbsp arhar dal
- 2 tbsp whole urad dal
- 2 tbsp spilt green moong dal
- 2 tbsp yellow moong dal
- 2 tbsp channa dal( lentils)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash all dal and then soak them for about 2-3 hours. Then using a pressure cooker, cook dals together with sufficient water for about 3-4 whistles on medium-low heat. Once the pressure cooker cools down, open the lid and mix the dal together, add more water if needed and again cook for 3-4 whistles more. Once cooked soft, mash and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, dried red chillies, bay leaves to it. Once the cumin seeds are brown, add chopped onions, asafoetida and sauté onion until light brown in color.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Stirring in between.
- Next, add the mashed dals with some water and give it a good stir.
- Bring the dal to a boil and add coriander leaves in the end. Switch of the flame, add 1 tbsp of ghee, cover the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Chawal(Rice), roti and your favorite vegetable . Enjoy!