Tandoori Chicken is most popular indian dish consisting of roasted chicken, yogurt and masala. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and tandoori masala. It is traditionally cooked in tandoor but can also be prepared on barbecue grill. Tandoor is a oven made of clay, heated to a high heat over charcoal or wood, and used in India for baking bread and roasting meat.
Since summer is still couple of months away I thought of making this inside on cast iron griddle. Also, I have used the store brought tandoori masala paste which is very easily available in grocery store in Asian/Indian aisle.You have to plan ahead if you want to make this dish because the marination require some time.
- 5 Chicken drum sticks, skinned on
- 4 tablespoon tandoori masala paste
- 4 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Pierce the chicken with fork to make tiny holes which will help marinade to get inside the meat. Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper generously.
- In a large shallow baking dish, mix tandoori masala/paste with yogurt, turmeric powder and 1/ teaspoon of salt.
- Add chicken, and marinate for 3-4 hours, or overnight, refrigerated.
- Heat cast iron griddle, brush the grill with olive oil to prevent the chicken pieces from sticking.
- Grill chicken on each side for about 6-7 minutes or until is cooked through.
I hope you enjoy making and eating this! Yummie!