Fried rice is popular dish in Asian cuisine especially in Chinese food. It is made with steamed white rice/brown rice, stir fried in wok with some meats, eggs and veggies of your choice. There are many varieties of fried rice, with its own specific list of ingredients.
Fried rice is also the most common food sold in Chinese takeout. You can make fried rice with left over rice and jazz up a quick, easy and satisfying meal anytime. Couple of days ago, I was thinking to make something with the left over Rotisserie chicken which was sitting in my fridge. And this is the first dish came to my mind. Also I had some veggies to add to the rice…so, this dish perfectly fits in my menu and hence I made this for our dinner that night.
This dish hardly takes up anytime to prepare, if you assemble, chop and cut everything in advance. I didn’t have any left over cold rice, so I have used freshly cooked rice and the outcome was amazingly delicious. When I was done cooking, hubby came out from study room to enquire what I am cooking which is so fragrant and delicious smelling…and yes, he was on perfect timing for DINNER!
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 4 green(spring) onions, thinly sliced
- 6-7 florets of broccoli, cut in small florets
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce/paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon stir fry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3-4 dashes of hot sauce
- To cook the rice, add water double the amount of rice, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Once done, uncovered the rice and let the rice cool down completely and then fluff it with a fork.
- Mix everything under sauces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil over high heat in large frying pan or wok and add the white part of green onions, garlic and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion has softened. Add carrots, peas, broccoli, salt to taste and stir fry these veggies on high heat. Add very little of salt, just to season the veggies.
- Add turmeric powder, mixed sauces, roasted cumin powder and stir well with the veggies. Throw in the bell pepper, cabbage and cook for 1 minutes or so.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken meat. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add scrambled eggs, cilantro leaves, chopped green onions and mix well.
- Remove from heat, garnish with some thinly sliced onions to serve!