Making dal in our home is day-to-day affair. Everyday in the afternoon, mom will make dal chawal and some sabzi for lunch. And after coming from school we used to have this meal. While working, when I used to get home for dinner, I have to have some dal chawal to complete my meal. Dal makhani is an exotic version of simple dal dish. Whenever we used to have some guests at home, this will surely be on the menu. Its something different than usual dals.
Usually dal makhani is made with whole urad dal but mom also combines small kidney beans and channa dal to make this. obviously I am going to follow the same recipe which always taste wonderful with hot rotis and rice.
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 3 tablespoon small kidney beans/Rajma
- 2 tablespoon bengal gram(Channa dal)
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 3 tablespoon crushed tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak all of the lentils (urad, rajma and channa dal) in water for 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Drain the water and pressure cook the lentils in about 2 cups of water, salt to taste for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure cooker cool down and then open the lid, see if the rajma is soft and cooked throughly.Mash the lentils lightly with the back of a ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, add cumin seeds, red chilli and when they begin to change color, add chopped onion, garlic, ginger and green chillies and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the cooked dal along with the cooking liquid. Add some water if the dal is too thick.
- Cook on low heat for about 2-3 minutes. Add the cream and mix everything.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves to serve.